Sunday 16 December 2007

Gil Bad Wolf

Guess I'll have to eat canned beans for a month now.
Why, you might ask.
Because... I just bought this beauty. :)



This is rarer than a sand storm on the north pole. A cut page by Li'l Bad Wolf artist Gil Turner. (If you are an animation fan you might also have heard his name before. )
But... from wich issue was this cut? I've checked all Swedish issues of Kalle Anka & C:o between 1948 and 1960 and it doesn't seem to fit anywere. So I guess it's not from a WDC & S but from a four color or some other special. The style looks like early/mid 50's. Any wolf expert out there? ( David: I'm pointing at you. ;) )

Damn, this turned out to be a Disney post anyway...
It's now 21:15 in sweden and I have a cold and I'm tired. I'll soon leave the studio and head home for bed. Maybe for an episode of CSI Season 2 before I turn to sleep.
IF I can sleep at all knowing that a Gil Turner page soon will be on its way to my flat. :)
(Yeeees I know, I'm still a child at heart.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, you bought it! Nice nice nice! Looking forward to stea... see it soon.
Your always trustworthy friend,
/Germund

flaviano said...

you done a beautiful work with this blog, really great stuff!
thanks for posting Dan Jippes (priceless) and Disney stuff.
cheers!

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

And you got a great blog too, flaviano!
Filled with really good artwork.
I encourage all of you to click on flavianos name in his post wich will lead you to his blogger presentation. Then check out his two blogs! I'm sure you will enjoy them just as much as I just did!:)

Anonymous said...

An original Gil Turner half-page? YOU got it and *I* didn't?! Bah! DOUBLE bah! After all these years trying to lure those juicy pi— uh, PAGES into my pot, I mean... grill, that is— WALL! Into my... I mean, ONTO my wall! (Huff! Puff!... er, I mean, WHEW!)
TRIPLE bah!
(And if you think I'm actually angry, I've got a bridge to sell you. I'm thrilled... I never knew any Turner Wolf art survived, and I'll try to see what story it could be from.)
Looking forward to seeing you guys... hopefully coming to Malmö late Friday the 28th!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Joakim.

You've got a DELETED sequence from this obviously shortened story: http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=W+WDC+137-03

It fits between published Pics 7 and 8 on Page 3. Of course, there's no room for it there right now (the sequence begins with a double-width pic, where there's only room for a single-width); but if you look farther up the page, there appear to have been other edits in the story, too.

If this could turn up, maybe there's hope for the lost Barks ten-pagers yet!

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

Thanks for the info David!
I think that the split panel on the bottom of page three would fit neatly on my original.
(When I first saw the swedish edition I thought that the panel where Li'l Bad Wolf runs away was the missing panel, since the swedish version had the split panel tampered. Now that I've seen the american panel I'm quite sure.)
Maybe the rest of the cut panels from this story also survives.

See you next week!